What we talk about when we talk about SEL?
There’s a chance you might have crossed paths with the term SEL, but do you know what it means? SEL stands for Social and emotional learning. It is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
According to the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL), SEL is more than just a program or a lesson. CASEL’s widely used framework identifies five core competencies that when prioritized across settings – districts, schools, classrooms, families, and the wider community – can educate hearts, inspire minds, and help students navigate the world more effectively.
Here are the five core competencies that can be taught in many ways, across different settings:
- Self-awareness: Know your strengths and limitations, with a well-grounded sense of confidence, optimism, and a “growth mindset.”
- Self-management: Effectively manage stress, control impulses, and motivate yourself to set and achieve goals.
- Social awareness: Understand the perspectives of others and empathize with them, including those from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Relationship skills: Communicate clearly, listen well, cooperate with others, resist inappropriate social pressure, negotiate conflict constructively, and seek and offer help when needed.
- Responsible decision-making: Make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety, and social norms.
Head administrators may lack a comprehensive SEL school counseling plan. Often times being unable to monitor school-wide implementation of SEL curriculum. For this reason, Eldventir Adventures SEL platform is the best ally for school administrators to implement SEL curriculum in their schools. The digital platform is aligned by CASEL’s 5 core competencies to develop relevant skills such as responsible decision-making, positive relationships, empathy, and anger management in elementary and middle school students.
There are many benefits of implementing Eldventir Adventures SEL platform in your school. For a hands-on experience, please contact email@example.com to run a free Empathy pilot within your school community.