What Can Districts and States Do to Promote School Climate?
School violence has been a persistent problem in the United States. On March 12, 2018, President Donald Trump established the Federal Commission on School Safety to review safety practices and make meaningful and actionable recommendations in order to keep students safe.
Here are two effective strategies that states could implement to promote a positive school climate:
- Provide resources for their schools to help create a positive school climate where students feel connected to, rather than isolated from their teachers and fellow students.
- Support character-building educational programs and expand those already existent, using various federal or state funds.
On the other hand, the Commission also recommends three effective strategies that school districts could implement to improve school climate:
- To use a variety of data sources, including school climate surveys, to guide the selection of evidence-based interventions tailored to their specific needs.
- Adopt effective social and emotional learning (SEL) strategies:
Research suggests that social-emotional learning (SEL) puts into practice character education knowledge. Researchers have developed different frameworks to define skills that support character development. One well-accepted framework was developed by the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) that encourages the development of five core skills: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
Children and youngsters who learn these core skills are able to manage their emotions and interactions in ways that benefit themselves and others. A good way to teach social and emotional skills in students is with the implementation of Eldventir Adventures SEL platform. School districts provide their schools with an effective program to develop prosocial behaviors and attitudes that lead to positive relationships and a healthy climate. The best thing is that students learn in the most fun way and the platform is easy to use for teachers, and simple to monitor by head administrators.
- Schools and districts can adopt tiered social, emotional, and behavioral supports to establish a climate that appropriately supports and responds to students’ behavior:
A good starting point is implementing Eldventir Adventures SEL Platform, an innovative, technology-based, social-emotional learning platform that guides how students learn, apply skills, and grow, not only socially, but behaviorally and emotionally. The platform presents a comprehensive content for SEL competencies and an effective SEL integration in the classroom.
When districts provide a positive school climate, they can help students feel connected to, rather than isolated from, teachers and fellow students and Eldventir Adventures SEL platform is the best ally for school districts.
If you are a School District Leader, please contact email@example.com to run a free Empathy pilot within your educational community.
bullying, districts recomendations, Donald Trump, eldventir SEL plarform, Federal Commission on School Safety, FINAL REPORT OF THE FEDERAL COMMISSION ON School Safety, school violence, states policies