5 ways teachers promote SEL in their classroom
Improving student achievement through innovation is the ultimate goal in education, as well as the development of social and emotional skills in children and youngsters. However, what matters the most, is not how much students know, but what they can do with what they know. Social and emotional learning (SEL) enhances students’ capacity to integrate skills, attitudes, and behaviors to deal effectively and ethically with daily tasks and challenges. What can teachers do to promote SEL outside and inside the classroom?
SEL in the classroom takes shape in a variety of ways. It is promoted through explicit instruction, often using an evidence-based program, and should also be integrated across classroom instruction and academic curriculum. CASEL’s program reviews have observed that evidence-based SEL programs use one or more of the following five approaches to promoting social and emotional learning in the classroom:
- Free-standing lessons that provide explicit, step-by-step instructions to teach students social and emotional competencies across the five core competency clusters.
- General teaching practices that create classroom and schoolwide conditions that facilitate and support social and emotional development in students.
- Integration of skill instruction and practices that support SEL within the context of an academic curriculum.
- Guidance to administrators and school leaders on how to create policies and organizational structures within a school or school system that support students’ social and emotional development as a schoolwide initiative.
- Teachers and administrators can rely on the implementation of successful programs based on SEL curriculum, such as Eldventir Adventures SEL platform. The digital platform develops prosocial behaviors in elementary and middle school students. It is easy to use for educators and easy to monitor for head administrators.
When educators develop social and emotional skills in their students, experience in classroom acquires another dimension. It creates an environment where teachers are supportive, students care about one another and working collaboratively to solve challenging problems. With the promotion of SEL in the classroom, children can learn respect, empathy, responsible behavior, and other social and emotional competencies that help them succeed in school and life.
A common challenge for educators is finding the time to implement SEL curriculum in their classroom. With the help of a successful program covering SEL topics such as Eldventir Adventures, they can innovate in their classrooms through the development of SEL skills in their students. Also, they can communicate the results to parents and develop prosocial behaviors in students.
Eldventir Adventures is an innovative digital platform that encourages children and teenagers to develop the five core competencies contemplated by CASEL: Self-awareness, Self-management, Social awareness, Relationship skills, and Responsible decision-making, through a gamified and interactive platform. This way, it is more natural for them and most likely will not realize they are learning whilst having fun.
Please contact email@example.com to run a free Empathy pilot within your school community.